New Disney Parks Attractions to be Based on New ‘Star Wars’ Films, Not Original Films
Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger revealed that new Star Wars-themed attractions at the theme parks will be based on the new films and spinoff films rather than the original films.
The announcement came at a Dealmakers Breakfast sponsored by Variety magazine earlier this week.
It’s been two years since Disney bought Lucasfilm and fans have been waiting to hear what, if anything, was going to be done to bring a bigger Star Wars presence to the Disney theme parks.
Earlier this year Iger said Disney plans “a far greater Star Wars presence” in its theme parks but said plans will be revealed in 2015. This likely means that any plans or major announcements of new attractions (or something else) will be made at the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim on April 14-16, 2015, or at the D23 Expo in August of 2015.
This week Iger said new attractions based on the original six Star Wars films might disappoint fans after they see Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and for this reason he stopped Imagineering’s development on new attractions until they saw what was in the new film.
Fans of the original Star Wars films can experience those characters and stories in the Star Tours attraction.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens December 18, 2015.