Perennial favorites are back, and new events have been planned, so save the following dates to celebrate the legacy!
January 29: Special preview screening of Jake and the Never Land Pirates featuring David Arquette
D23 and Disney Junior are teaming up to sponsor a special preview of Disney Junior’s brand new animated series, “Jake and the Neverland Pirates,” starring David Arquette, as the voice of Skully, the kid pirates’ trusty parrot protector. But that’s not all – Arquette will be on hand after the screening, which will feature two eleven-minute episodes, for a Q&A with D23’s Disney Geek, Jeffrey Epstein. The session will also include an opportunity for the audience to ask questions. Afterwards, Captain Hook will stop by for photos and autographs – if you dare!
May 12-13: D23’s Great Disney Scavenger Hunt: Walt Disney World
Are scavenger hunts your bag? Then you’ll definitely want to check out D23’s Great Disney Scavenger Hunt next spring. For the first time ever, all four Walt Disney World theme parks will play host to a massive scavenger hunt. Teams of 2-4 people will compete for the chance to win all kinds of amazing prizes. More details to come on the D23 website!
May 14-15: Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th
Following in the footsteps of Destination D: Disneyland ’55, Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th celebrates the 40th anniversary of the beloved resort. Plenty of panels will build upon the presentations that were featured at the Disneyland event, and will include:
- “Walt Disney World: The Way We Were,” hosted by Disney Legend Dave Smith
- “Weird Disney World” with Walt Disney Archives Director Becky Cline
- “Walt Disney World Through the Eye of Television”
- A special evening event featuring musical memories from throughout the history of Walt Disney World.
More panels will be announced soon on the D23 website.
August 19-21: D23 Expo 2011 in Anaheim, California
Known throughout Disney circles as “The Ultimate Fan Event” by Disney enthusiasts, this celebration of all things Disney is so huge that it only occurs every other year. In 2011, this special weekend will include:
- 2011 Disney Legends, an opportunity to pay tribute to individuals who have made Disney into the icon of entertainment it is today
- Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives will feature rare props, artifacts and costumes, available for viewing for the very first time in Disney history
- Collector’s Forum, where D23 members can buy, sell and trade memorabilia and merchandise – perhaps finding that Disney treasure they’ve been looking for
- Fan Art Contest, which will feature “101Dalmatians” this year in honor of the film’s 50th anniversary
- The Ultimate Disney Trivia Tournament gives participants the opportunity to demonstrate the depth of their knowledge as they compete for prizes
Stay tuned to D23 for more information about this incredible weekend event!
October 14-15: Sip & Stroll at Epcot in Orlando
It’s back! Join D23 for this popular and exclusive event that takes place during the Epcot Food & Wine Festival, where you can eat and drink your way around the world with fellow D23 members! More details will be announced as the date for the event draws closer.
December 17-18: Magic and Merriment at Walt Disney World in Orlando
Kickoff the holiday season right! D23 helps members to celebrate the season in style. More details will be announced in 2011.
50 and Fabulous Screenings
Another event inspired by D23 Expo 2009, when fans had the chance to view Disney film masterpieces that were celebrating 50 years of delighting audiences. The D23 tradition continued in 2010, and it’s back again in 2011. The screenings will take place on the Burbank Lot, and tickets are free (with a $5 ticket processing fee) for D23 Members and one guest – and of course, come expecting surprises! For 2011, the schedule will be:
- January 22: “101 Dalmatians”
- March 12: “The Absent-Minded Professor “
- June 18: “The Parent Trap”
- Nov 19: “Babes in Toyland”
D23 Tours at the Walt Disney Studios and Archives
Back for 2011, D23 is pleased to offer once more tours of the The Walt Disney Studios and Walt Disney Archives, hosted by D23 and Walt Disney Archives staff. Tours last two-and-a-half hours, and space is limited. Make your plans to attend the tours on one of the following dates:
- February 5
- April 30
- July 23
- November 5
Of course, times and dates of events are subject to change. D23 continues to plan many, many events for the upcoming year, so stay tuned to their website, www.D23.com, for more details and for information on how to become a member of this special group.