D23 Expo to Feature ‘Carousel of Projects’ From Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
More details were announced today about Walt Disney Parks and Resorts’ presence at the upcoming D23 Expo. The Expo, which will take place at the Anaheim Convention Center from August 19-21, 2011, will feature a pavilion for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, which will take Disney fans through a “Carousel of Projects” that gives them an exclusive look at the exciting expansions going on at Disney Parks around the world.
The “Carousel of Projects” draws its inspiration from the Carousel of Progress, the 1964 World’s Fair attraction that is currently housed in Tomorrowland at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. D23 Expo guests will be able to “hop aboard” the Carousel of Projects to discover concepts, new technologies, designs, models, and storytelling tools being developed at Walt Disney Imagineering. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is currently in the biggest period of global expansion in its history, and guests at the D23 Expo will be immersed in the division’s fantastic new plans for the future as never before.
Disney fans attending the D23 Expo will be able to discover exciting news and projects throughout the weekend from Walt Disney Parks and Resorts’ 11 parks and five resorts located around the world, as well as the upcoming Hawaiian Disney Resort Aulani, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney and Disney Vacation Club, including:
- Actual figures, props and ride vehicles for Radiators Springs Racers, as well as a behind-the-scenes look at the building of Cars Land, the newest land at Disney California Adventure which opens next year.
- The opportunity to meet a classic Disney icon in an entirely new way.
- Concepts, models and plans for Fantasyland, one of the most ambitious expansions in the 40-year history of Magic Kingdom at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.
- What’s new at Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney and Disney Vacation Club.
The Expo will also feature a number of different panels and discussions throughout the weekend for attendees. On Friday, August 19 in the Convention Center’s main arena, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts chairman Tom Staggs will give guests an in-depth, behind the scenes look at what’s coming to Disney Parks and Resorts, including a few surprises. There will also be nine presentations about Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, including:
- Radiator Springs Reality: Imagineering Cars Land for Disney California Adventure—Join Disney/Pixar’s John Lasseter and a panel of Imagineers and Pixar creative talent as they share the twists and turns through the real-life development of Radiator Springs.
- The Making of Star Tours – The Adventures Continue—Imagineer Tom Fitzgerald will share the inside scoop on how Walt Disney Imagineering and George Lucas’ Industrial Light & Magic began laying the groundwork for a new version of Star Tours.
- A Good Look at Buena Vista Street—Imagineers Lisa Girolami, Ray Spencer, and Coulter Winn provide a preview of the new entrance to Disney California Adventure, an idealized depiction of the Los Angeles Walt Disney lived and worked in throughout the 1920s and 1930s.
- Imagineering the Dream and the Fantasy—Imagineers Joe Lanzisero and Bob Zalk talk about charting the design course of the two newest Disney cruise ships.
- Legends of Walt Disney Imagineering—Disney Legend Marty Sklar will lead a celebration of the careers and accomplishments of Walt Disney Imagineering, including Alice Davis, Orlando Ferrante, Bob Gurr, and Don Iwerks. With special guest and current Imagineer Kim Irvine, daughter of Disney Legend Leota Toombs.
Finally, in addition to the wealth of Expo merchandise that has already been announced, the D23 Expo will feature a mini-version of the Walt Disney Imagineering employees-only store Mickey’s of Glendale, which will offer exclusive Carousel of Projects and Walt Disney Imagineering merchandise. For only three days, Disney fans will have a chance to purchase this special merchandise, which will not be available anywhere else.
To purchase tickets to the Expo, visit the official D23 Expo website.