Registration for the 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend races opened at noon on April 9 and within hours the new Walt Disney World 10K was sold out. The 10K was one of two new events announced for the Marathon Weekend; the second new event is the Dopey Challenge where participants will run the 5K, 10K, half marathon, and full marathon for a total of 48.6 miles.
The full slate of races for the 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend include the Disney Family Fun Run 5k, the Walt Disney World 10K, Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge (which includes the half marathon and the full marathon, a total of 39.3 miles), the Walt Disney World Half Marathon, the Walt Disney World Marathon, the Dopey Challenge, and the already sold-out Runner’s World Challenge.
At press time the Dopey Challenge was at 94 percent capacity, the half marathon was at 51 percent capacity, and the Family Fun Run 5K had sold out.
With tens of thousands of racers descending on Walt Disney World for the marathon weekend, Disney is making an effort to improve race conditions and provide participants with a great race environment. Several changes have been announced for the 2014 Marathon Weekend.
These changes include:
– A reduction in the number of runners who can register for the weekend, thus allowing more space on the course.
– The majority of runners will have to provide proof of time if they have it so that race organizers can place runners in the proper corrals.
– Adding more corrals to the races which will open the race course for the runners.
– Keeping the course that was used in this year’s marathon.
– Providing women’s cut tech shirts for the 10K, half marathon, full marathon, Dopey Challenge and Goofy Challenge. Men’s cut tech shirts are also available.
Complete information for the marathon weekend can be found at the official runDisney website.