The Walt Disney Family Museum opened its doors on October 1, 2009, and has been an amazingly valuable resource on the life and career of Walt Disney ever since. Located in the Presidio of San Fransisco, the 40,000 square foot building holds 10 interactive galleries that present Walt Disney’s legacy through drawings and animation, movies, music, and more. In addition, the museum contains a state-of-the-art theatre, cafe, and gift store. This fall, the museum will celebrate its one-year anniversary with a host of special events open to guests of all ages.
“It’s hard to believe that a year has passed since we opened our doors in the Presidio,” said Richard Benefield, founding executive director of the Museum. “Our efforts to present the life and achievements of Walt Disney in an interactive and imaginative way are ongoing and we’re pleased to see families, teens, and seniors all enjoying different elements of the Museum.”
The anniversary festivities, which will take place from Friday, October 1 to Sunday, October 3, 2010, are:
- Live music throughout the weekend. Guests can bring a picnic lunch for the front lawn and be serenaded by ragtime jazz on Friday from 2:00-5:00 PM and Saturday from 11:00 AM-2:00 PM.
- A Saturday Night Soiree on Saturday night from 6 to 9 PM, which features half-price museum admission tickets and a cash bar.
- The “Where’s Walt?” Treasure Hunt Contest, where the grand prize is a classic Disney movie screening in the museum’s theater for the winner and up to 50 guests of their choice.
- “LOOK CLOSER” gallery talks, in which museum staff teach guests even more about Walt Disney’s legacy through taking a closer look at the “Steamboat Willie” wall, the museum’s special Pinocchio Animator’s Desk, and the first underwater movie camera.
- A 25-minute “Best Of” movie in the theater that highlights the special guests that have visited the museum during its first year, which includes Disney Legends, stars, animators, and executives.
- The Radio Disney Road Crew will be there on Saturday from 1:00-3:00 PM with family games, contests, and music.
- Special screenings of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs on the museum’s Big Screen at 1:00 and 4:00 PM (Free with Museum Admission).
- Create your own Moviola in the museum’s Learning Center. New drop-in craft activities will take place on all three days from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM
In addition, the museum will extend its admission hours until 9:00 PM on Saturday, October 2.
The Walt Disney Family Museum is located at 104 Montgomery Street, The Presidio of San Francisco, in San Fransisco, CA. The museum is open Wednesday – Monday 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM on the Main Post of the Presidio. To learn more about the museum, you can visit their website, or find them on facebook and twitter. The museum is owned and operated by the Walt Disney Family Foundation, a non-profit foundation.