The summer issue of Disney Twenty-three magazine will hit stands May 3, and features an amazing behind-the-scenes look at Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
Director Rob Marshall and actors Geoffrey Rush, Ian McShane and Richard Griffiths will take D23 magazine readers into the exciting world of the latest Pirates film, and offer the inside scoop on what Captain Jack Sparrow’s been up to, including an eight-page spread of full-color images. Additionally, readers will find select cast and crew members’ thoughts about Johnny Depp’s reprisal of the iconic role; learn about the inspiration the screenwriters had while working on the film; and read director Rob Marshall’s thoughts about why he says “You’re undergoing your own adventure as you’re filming one,” regarding the 106 days of shooting.
Of course, the summer issues of D23 magazine will include plenty of other exciting features for D23 Fan Club Members to enjoy. You’ll find an exclusive interview with Star Wars and Indiana Jones creator George Lucas, including his thoughts about participating in the Disney rides that were inspired by his classic films. You’ll also learn more about the new Star Tours ride opening this summer, and see lots of concept art for rides that were never actually made!
In “What a MARVELous World!,” Stan Lee discusses his excitement working with Disney Imagineers. He says:
It’s great for Marvel to have access to Disney’s brains, because they’re pretty smart, and it’s great for Disney to have all these characters, with their built-in audience. It’s one of the wisest things that either company could have done.
The article will also include a look back at Lee’s history, as well as what’s in store for the Disney/Marvel team-up.
Then, take a glance at the Cars 2 feature, where John Lasseter introduces readers to such favorite characters as Lightning McQueen, Mater, and a whole host of new characters who will be available to enjoy once the film debuts alongside the animated Hawaiian Vacation short, featuring Toy Story characters. In fitting with the theme, readers will also be able to check out some of Walt Disney’s own vehicles, as well as a few that played a special role in Disney history.
In addition to these exciting features, the next issues of D23 magazine will include plenty of other things, including:
- THAT WILLY NILLY SILLY NEW BEAR, which will feature voice actor Jim Cummings, who has loaned his talent to voicing Winnie the Pooh for years, and will continue to do so in the upcoming film.
- JUSTICE FOR ALL, which will chronicle the life of Disney Legend Bill Justice, who passed away in February. His work could be seen from Mary Poppins to Bambi to the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland.
- ARIEL’S TRIUMPHANT RETURN will talk about The Little Mermaid – Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, a new ride coming to Disney California Adventurevery soon. Disney animators Glen Keane, Mark Henn and Andreas Deja will finally be able to see their historic characters come to life in 3D!
- PASSING THE TIKI TORCH will explore the work of two “laid-back Southern California craftsmen” from the Enchanted Tiki room to the Pirates of the Caribbean film franchise.
- A WALK WITH WALT 1940: WISHING UPON A STAR takes a look back at the first year of the new decade, which coincided with the release of Fantasia – but trouble would soon rear its head.
- D SOCIETY features Disney President Bob Iger’s photographs of the Disney Dream; John Stamos and the Massey Brothers get onboard, and Super Bowl champ Aaron Rodgers heads to Walt Disney World.
- PHOTOfiles is the 10th installment of rare pictures from the Disney Photo Library, and features plenty of fun and exciting photographs you won’t find anywhere else, including Walt embracing Audio-Animatronics at the Enchanted Tiki Room!
- GOOD MOUSEKEEPING, a brand new column which will become a regular feature in D23 magazine, will feature Disney comics that were originally published in the 1930’s and 40’s in Good Housekeeping magazine. The latest issue will include a comic from 1937 that features the beloved trio Wynken, Blynken and Nod.
But wait… there’s more! If you’re a member of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, you will receive a special bonus with your issue. This issue will come with one of two scented Cars 2 air fresheners, which will feature the character Lightning McQueen or Mater. This gift will only be sent to members of the fan club, so if you are interested in joining, visit disney.com/D23.
Even if you aren’t a fan club member, you will be able to pick up the magazine from select retail locations starting May 3, for $15.95.